Frequently Asked Questions

Where are Plato Pet Treats made?

Plato Pet Treats are produced here in the United States, at the heart of California, in our very own facility. This allows us to tightly control our own production processes so we can ensure that our treats are always made to our stringent quality standards.

Why the name Plato?

We have our very own philosophy we like to call, The Plato Way. Only the highest quality and safest ingredients for the best tasting pet treats possible. We started by baking custom treats for our own dogs 10 years ago and that’s where Plato Pet Treats began. Plato the philosopher as we know him to be was a thinker to say the least, and these are treats for people who truly think about the well being and health of their furry family members. It’s a smart way to treat the dogs that treat us so well .

 Where do you get your ingredients from?

With the exception of some of our natural preservatives & duck (which we import from Europe), all ingredients used in Plato treats are farmed from North America. Our Organic Chicken is sourced from an Organic Certified Farm up the street from us in California. We do our best to source wild caught Pacific Salmon however in the times we are unable to have a good fishing day we source from responsible farm raised Salmon on the West Coast.  We can directly trace all of our ingredients back to our trusted sourcing partners.

Are Plato Pet Treats quality-assurance tested?

Rest assured, we have a full quality assurance laboratory where staff scientists and technicians test our treats daily and randomly to make sure that they meet our strict quality standards. This means every bag of Plato treats meets our high levels of quality—and always tastes great.

 

We conduct regular, ongoing testing of all of our fish-based products: our lines of treats with 75 to 90% salmon, our Wild Alaskan Salmon oil, and our Hundur’s Crunch Icelandic Fish Skins and Whole Capelin. We test for freshness, heavy metals, and microbial contamination. Our results have always been below government-established limits and are safe to consume.

Salmon is commonly considered one of the lowest-risk fish species for mercury toxicity[i]. The FDA has determined 1 ppm (1,000 ppb) to be the safe limit for mercury in food for human consumption[ii]; and the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) has set a limit of 2 ppm (2,000 ppb) for animals[iii]. Our products consistently test well below these limits. The FDA monitors mercury presence in all commercial fisheries, and has found that pacific salmon averages 0.19 ppm (190 ppb) mercury.[iv] Our results are consistent with these levels found in natural salmon consumers eat daily.

[i] Animal Wellness Magazine – “Fish List” – http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/Fish-List.jpg

[ii] U.S. Food and Drug Administration- FDA Consumer – September 1994; Revised May 1995 – “Mercury in Fish: Cause For Concern?”

[iii] 2016 Official Publication AAFCO, p 320, “Table 2. Official Guidelines Suggested for Contaminants.”

[iv] U.S. Food and Drug Administration – Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish (1990-2010) http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

 

90% Protein, what is the other 10%?

Plato is a meat based treat, which is why your dogs nose goes straight in the air upon opening the bag. When our ingredient panel reads 90% Organic Chicken, that means 90% of the treat is solid single sourced Organic Chicken. The other 10% are the remaining ingredients listed on the bag, no by-products, no fillers, no wheat, corn or soy, only real ingredients for real dogs.

My treats don’t always look the same, is this normal?

Yes, because of the natural aspects of our treats they may slightly vary in shape, color, size and texture from bag to bag. We have recently made some product upgrades on our Thinkers line, follow the info-graphic below for more information:

 

 

 

How many calories are in each treat?

Our treats are intended to be fed as a treat, not as a primary diet for your pet.  If your pet is on a calorie specific diet please consult the table below with your veterinarian and feed accordingly. Take a look at the chart below for details:

 Once opened, how do I store my bag of Plato Pet Treats?

Make sure to store the bag in a cool, dark place, out of extreme heat or direct sunlight. The bag should never be placed in the refrigerator as it is a natural treat and will cause condensation and mold. We stand behind and guarantee your satisfaction of the treats through the best by date printed on the back of the bag.

 What is DHA?

DHA is a product that is widely used across both the human and pet food industry for everything from prescription DHA supplements for women who are pregnant, to eggs at your grocery store which contain DHA.

As the manufacturer states: “While most people believe that fish produce their own DHA, it’s actually the algae in their food chain that makes them a rich source of DHA. DHA is made from algae grown in a cGMP, FDA-inspected facility. Because DHA is from algae and not fish, it provides a vegetarian, sustainable source of DHA that is free of ocean-borne contaminants. DHA is used to fortify animal feeds, treats and supplements and can be fed to fish and production animals, enriching the meat, eggs and milk they produce.”